Search This Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2009

letter received 3/28/09

RoseE writes:

"Dear Mum,

I left all my usable pens in the classroom. The ones in my room are dead, save for this, which I stole from Elder Kerrigan and which is nearly dead. But I am using it to write and make sure that you are actually really truly okay because there are rules about what moms are allowed to do while their daughters are on missions and "require hospitalizations" is NOT on the list. I checked.

But the (Relief Society) (Sister)(s) are taking good care of you, right? And Marjie and Jean are being big girls and managing on their own? And you are sleeping and watching all my movies? * (Dig out Cyrano de Bergerac. It's sooo good. It's in the open box in the storage room, right near the top.) (Oh, and tell Bethe it's okay if she watches my Doctor Who DVDs--just remember to put them right back in their cases or they'll get scratched and the dialogue won't be snappy anymore.)

Seriously, I'm glad you're okay, and I'm sorry you didn't get to go see Cat. I know you were looking forward to that. Are you going to reschedule for when you're back on your feet? Nothing like watching birds and alligators for convalescence.

I will do my best to call in the morning, keeping in mind that the MTC waits for no man.

My two companions are having crises with their mothers. "I asked my mom for shirts and she sent me all the wrong ones . . . " "I told my mom to send me deodorant and she HASN'T SENT IT . . ." [It's a little bit Anastasia-and-Griselda (they were the wicked stepsisters in Cinderella, right?). I'm not sure if they're just in bad moods because of Korea-packing stress or if I genuinely have a well-above-average mom. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'll be charitable and say both. My mom drove two hours** with a stone in her gall bladder to buy tag magnets for my companions. My mom writes to me and tells me she loves me and is proud of me. My mom plays the BAGPIPES. My mom is cool.***

Are you gonna go to Emily's wedding?

I love you.

RoseE"

*How did she know? I watched all her Audrey Hepburn movies while I was recovering!

**In fact, it was Todd who drove, and I wasn't in pain until the next afternoon.

*** This was actually in the letter; I did not make it up. Truth!

# See RoseE's new address, at right!-------->

1 comment:

  1. I hope she's coming to my wedding! (Did the card arrive? I was writing the address from memory and realized later that I may have switched the 3 for a 6 . . .). I'll send another if needed!

    BTW, if you'd like me to type up some portions of RoseE's letters to me to post here, I'd be happy to email them to you. :)

    ReplyDelete