Search This Blog

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Letter to Todd dated 6/8/09

RoseE writes:

"Dear Dad,

You continue to be the most complete, accurate, and reliable supplier of news to the entire district. Six elders, two sisters, and the two sisters' two roommates thank you heartily. We haven't a blessed clue what's going on. Well, we did hear about the ex-president's suicide, but that was kind of hard to miss because flags were up and at half staff all over the place.

Regarding living exclusively with Koreans: I think I find it harder over the long term than living with Americans, but everybody (including Pres. Jennings) says I'm handling it much better than the average American sister. So that's good. And the only American sisters I ever see are Sister Jennings, Sister Ogelvie, and Sister Beckstead, all of whom I get along with extremely well, so maybe I'm getting a skewed picture of how easy it would be to live with Americans.

I really didn't think my area was as big as you said, but now that I think about it, it does take a good hour on the bus for us to get anywhere. And we spend a lot of time within easy walk of the subway line, so I get the impression that Pusan is a lot narrower than I think it actually must be.

Koreans are strange. They think that Spam is real food.

I have been close to the U.N. cemetary, but I have not yet actually been to it, although it is something I want to do while I'm here. I just have to talk someone into going with me.

I love you, but P. Day's* over.

RoseE"



*P.Day: Preparation Day. For those of you who don't remember or didn't read the last entries about P.Day, it's a missionary's one day off during the week. She has to stay with her companion, though. I would think that having a Korean companion in Korea on P.Day would be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment